The restoration of a motorcycle must follow always the same guidelines for all types and brands of motorcycle here indicated:
- Before beginning to dismantle the pieces whenever possible start the engine and verify the functionality of each of its component, the same is for its chassis.
- Begin to dismantle each piece of the motorcycle to replace or put back into pristine conditions, that means to revarnish the body and its frame. As regards nuts, bolts and fasteners as well as small parts they are zinc-coated. It’s a galvanization that restores the silver or black colour and protects them from oxidation. In some cases nuts, bolts and fasteners are chrome-plated silver or black. This treatment can also be executed on others parts such as the rims, the handlebar, the exhaust pipe, etc...
- After having care for the chassis the engine is dismantled and all the tolerances are verified to make sure that the constructor’s specific requisites are respected. Otherwise the pieces are replaced or reconstructed in the case they can be no more available (that is true for all parts of the motorcycle). For the aesthetic part of the engine the intervention can be varied, for instance there are motors devoid of aesthetic-protective treatments. They are simply sandblasted and buffed with brushes, instead other are varnished. It’s necessary, thus to go back to the original colour and varnish, so that the motor must resist to high temperatures.
- At this point we have the motor, the frame, the tank etc. new, but we must find all the parts in rubber such as pneumatics, sheaths, handlebar grips, saddle, pipes and brakes, etc.
- Now we can see to the correct reassembly helped by the handbook and to the road test of the motorcycle.